For information on voter registration, contact the Board of Election Commissioners for the City of Chicago, 69 W Washington Street, Suites 600/800, Chicago, Illinois 60602, 312-269-7900.
To verify your registration, find your polling place and your districts and view sample ballots, go to http://www.Chicagoelections.com or phone the above number.
On Line Registration is available:
It is possible to register to vote (or change your address) on line in Illinois if:
The applicant has either an Illinois Driver's License or State ID.
The signature is used for the ballot application.
The applicant has a Social Security number
If the applicant supplies her/his email address (optional), Illinois election code requires election officials to provide this email information to campaign committees and political organizations.
Voters need at least two forms of identification, at least one of which shows the address for their new/updated registration.
Information on early voting and grace period registration sites may be found at http://www.chicagoelections.com/en/grace-period-registration-and-voting.html.
Please be aware that the location of your polling place may have changed because precinct boundaries were changed after City Council redistricting. Verify the location at http://www.Chicagoelections.com.
No ID is required for voting in the voter's home precinct on Election Day unless the voter is voting for the first time and has registered by mail without verification. This information would be indicated to the judges by the Electronic Poll Book.
General Election November 8, 2016
In addition to electing officials and voting on judicial retention, there will be several referenda on the ballot. (Information here is as of July 12, 2016)
Offices on the ballot:
Illinois Constitution Binding Amendments
- President/Vice President of the United States
- U.S. Senator
- State Comptroller
(Vacancy/2-year unexpired term)
- Representatives in Congress (all districts)
- State Senators: 2-year terms in Districts 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20 and 4-year terms in Districts 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 28.
- State Representatives (all districts)
- Commissioners of the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District
(3 for 6-year terms and 1 for an unexpired 2- year term)
- Cook County Circuit Court Clerk
- Cook County State's Attorney
- Cook County Recorder of Deeds
- Board of Review (Tax Appeals) Commissioners: District 1 for four-year term;
District 2 for two-year term
- Appellate, Circuit and Subcircuit Judges
to fill vacancies
- Yes/No questions on whether to allow previously appointed or elected judges to remain on the bench.
Cook County Binding Referendum
- 1. Use of Transportation Fees only for transportation projects.
- 2. Establishment of the Independent Maps Redistricting Commission (court action pending)
Eliminating the Office of the Cook County Recorder of Deeds and transferring duties and responsibilities to the Office of the Cook County Clerk.
City of Chicago Advisory Referenda
- 1. Should the State of Illinois provide full and equitable funding for the Chicago Public Schools?
- 2. Should the State of Illinois strengthen penalties for illegal trafficking of firearms and require background checks for gun dealers and their employees?
- 3. Should the City of Chicago consider creating a municipal identification card that will expand access to city services for residents unable to access other forms of identification?